Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Brewer Dallan Webb

He's here! I have probably waited too long already and have forgotten alot about his birth story, but I figured I better get down what I remember before I forget.  Its going to be a long, detailed post for my journal, so sorry!

On Thursday October 31, I had my membranes stripped and oh gosh, that was so sucky.  I will most likely never get that done again.  I did start contracting from it though, and by Friday night I had been having contractions at that point for over a day, and was 5 days past due anyways.  I had been timing them and they were consistant for awhile and then would fade off, so I didn't think much of it.  After Dallan got home from work Friday night they were about 6 minutes apart, so we figured we should go in and just make sure.  We didn't really pack much and weren't super prepared because we figured for sure they'd send us home.

We go in and they hooked me up to the monitors and my contractions were showing up but were not very strong at all.  They said they'd monitor me for an hour and let me know.  So as we came up on and hour we were talking about how we'd go and get food at Sonic and go home and sleep in the next day.  The nurse came in as soon as we got excited about getting some food and said that they were going to keep me! I was so excited, yet slightly pissed because I was starving at that point and now I knew they wouldn't let me eat until after he came.

They started PIT and said to try to get some sleep until I had dilated.  At this point I was only a 2 which I had been at for weeks and only 70% effaced.  So we both fell asleep and around 3:30 I work up feeling bad contractions.  I put up with the contractions for awhile before I told them to give me the epidural.  I knew that I would be much more willing to have them shove a needle up my back if I was in pain from contractions, rather than just give it to me willy nilly.  The epidural was not near as bad as I thought! I don;t know if it was cause my contractions hurt so bad or what, but it was more of just a weird feeling, rather than super painful.  They got it all done and we went back to sleep until this nurse girl came in and said she was gonna empty my bladder with a cathedar.  I could totally feel everything! I told her I could and she told me I couldn't because of my epidural, and I said, no I can definitely feel it.  So she asks why I hadnt pushed the button for the epidural to kick in more and no one had even told me about it! After that I started just pushing it like crazy cause I didn't want to feel a thing.

Anyways, I dilated from a 5-9 really fast and they said they would have me start pushing, I think it was around 8:30am.  We told our families and they kept texting and calling us asking if we'd had him him yet, but I hadn't started pushing yet cause my doctor was delivering another baby.  They were all sure I had to have an emergency C-section cause we didn't answer for so long .  I finally started pushing around 9:30-9:45 ish, and the hospital was short staffed so it was just a nurse and Dal in there.  I was pushing and couldn't feel a thing, it was awesome.  Nothing like the movies ha.  Finally they are talking about seeing his head and talking about his hair, and the doctor is still not there.  My nurse just says to pretty much not move or push because the baby is about out and we don't want him to come before the doctor gets there ha.

Finally Dr. Blackett gets there and within a couple pushes he's out and Dallan is about to pass out haha.  He was holding one of my legs and said that about did him in to see him come out.  I had them clean him all up and all that before I held him cause lets face it, I probably would have gagged and thrown up knowing me and gross stuff haha.

Brewer ended up coming at 10:57am on Saturday November 2 and was 7.3 lbs and 22 1/2 inches long.  Such a long, skinny boy! The nurses said they never see 22 inch babies, so hopefully he ends up being really tall, but I would like to fatten him up.




 First pic of little Brewer boy!
 His first bath that Dal and the nurse gave him and he did NOT like it
 Dal and Brew
 In the middle of the night I took this pic of him, and the flash woke him up but I didn't care haha.  I had him stay with me the whole first night cause I was so freaked out about a Code Pink and someone stealing him (it happens) so I didn't get much sleep.  The next night I let them take him and that was the best decision ha, that was my last real night of sleep I've had!

 Going home! He is so tiny in that big ol' carseat
 My mom came and stayed with me in the hospital and then stayed for 4 days after we got home and it was so nice.  She slept at the hospital with me and Brew so that Dal could get a good night's sleep because he still had school and had a huge test the Monday after he was born.
 She cooked us tons of food and fattened us right up
This is our morning activity.  We wake up, get a little ready for the day, then have our morning nap together, its the best.




So all in all everything has been so good! Ya I'm tired and not knowing what I'm doing but it really is so fun.  He's been such a good baby, other than today he feels like he needs to be held to sleep, so hes sitting on my lap right now crashed out.

In the hospital Brewer would not latch on to nurse.  We eventually met with a lactation consultant and she had us start using a shield.  He still struggled with that so we did S&S, and thought he was doing fine.  Well the day after we got home he hadn't had a dirty diaper all day, so that afternoon they told me we needed to bring him in.  They weighed him and he had dropped down to 6.6 lbs which is too low to drop to.  Basically I had been starving him and didn't know it, it was so sad! So they had me start supplementing formula and pumping and giving it to him in a bottle.  I was super anti formula so I fed him a couple bottles but mostly just pumped and made sure he got plenty of milk that way.

When he was a week old I just said screw it and spent all day making him try to latch on (even with the shield) and he finally got it! He started gaining weight fast and is up to 7.5 and eats CONSTANTLY.  I'm so glad he's nursing now cause pumping was a freakin pain in the butt.


2 comments:

  1. Aww!!! We are so glad everything went well:) he is such a handsome boy! This post brought back so many memories! Hope y'all are doing good and enjoying this special time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Ays! Amazing how long it's been since we were pages! Hope all is well. Kim

    ReplyDelete